• Comprehensive assessments
Extensive and thorough assessments using standardised and non-standardised assessment tools are used with each referral to Child Sense. Time is set aside before the assessment to discuss the concerns with parents, your child and/or relevant others depending on the assessment goal. Following the assessment, a formal report with recommendations will be supplied and discussed with relevant parties (for example families and schools). Further reports will be supplied for other professionals if requested.
• Close liaison with schools or relevant others
• Intervention in the school, home or clinic environments
Principles of consultation, monitoring and direct intervention form the basis of the Child Sense intervention programmes. Side by side learning is encouraged during therapy sessions whether it be with teachers, learning support staff, parents or relevant others. This ensures strategies can be carried over to other environments.
Sessions are usually 45-60 minutes in length and are tailored to meet your child’s needs. Therapy focuses on the functional difficulties for your child. Intervention may use a range of techniques including sensory integration, cognitive training, motor and functional skills training, systematic instruction, environmental adaptation and coping strategies.
• Individual or group sessions
• Setting-up and directing services in schools
A range of programmes are available for schools that can be coordinated by the therapist through school consultation. This includes in-services, small group sessions and 1 day occupational therapy advice clinics.
• Preschool and school screenings
• Workshops and trainings for parents and professionals
Current workshops include:
- An Introduction to Sensory Processing
- Sensory Processing and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- A Global Approach to Autism Spectrum Disorders (based on the principles of SERVAM)
- Developmental Coordination Disorders and Dyspraxia
- Early Years Handwriting and Cutting (0-8years)
- Handwriting for Bigger Kids
For a more detailed outline of trainings, to tailor a training package for your school or day care centre or for information on our school consultation service, please contact Child Sense.